Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Sunday, April 10, 2005

Coffee Talk

I am proud to say that I am officially considered a "regular" at the little coffee shop just down the street. No longer do I have to verbally communicate my order to the barista behind the counter - she knows as soon as I walk through the door exactly what I want. Now to some, this may appear to be boring and predictable, but to me it takes on a much deeper meaning than just ordering the same old thing every time I go to get coffee. It feels good to know that I have been noticed, set apart...I am no longer one of the many nameless, faceless coffee-lovers who pass through the doors of this fine establishment on a daily basis. I have been associated with the desire of my heart, so to speak. On a larger scale, this serves as a refreshing reminder that there is an Omniscient God who knows every word on my tongue before it's ever spoken into being. Not only has He taken notice of me, He is intimately acquainted with the deepest desires of my heart. And greater still, beyond just merely knowing my desires, He also longs to fulfill each and every single one of them, as only He can do. As my heart drinks in this reality, suddenly this vast God of the universe does not feel so far off anymore. In fact, He's much closer than I think.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yay! Amy's here!

8:07 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great entry, Amy!

I remember when It first dawned on me that I had become a "regular." I walked up to place my order and out of the corner of my eye I caught the barista marking a medium sized cup in code, "Am w/rm." When I turned my attention to the worker at the cash register, she said: "One grande Amerciano with room for cream, will that be all today?" The cash register already read, "$2.13." I handed her the money realizing I hadn't said one single word.

I suddenly felt kind of naked and exposed as if they had rummaged through my underwear drawer. My secret was out. No longer was I anonymous. Somewhere, somehow they had taken my sense of identity by identifying me.

That feeling of exposure often prevents us from inviting people deeper into our lives-including God.

But in a sense, I am now a part of a community. They know my name. They now why I am there and what I want. This is also true of God. When we open ourselves to him, He knows who we are, we are invited in, we find out why we are here and God knows exactly what we need.

sorry for pontificating.

1:14 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home