Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Monday, December 19, 2005

Salvation

I can't really remember the context of the conversation, but today someone told me that they get saved everytime they set foot on a plane just in case. I grew up believing that it was possible for people to fall away from salvation. In college I had conversations with students from a Baptist college who believed that once you were saved, you couldn't lose your salvation. They argued that those who "fell away" from the Lord really weren't saved to begin with. In fact, just a few months ago, I had this same conversation with someone at a Bible study and began to doubt what I grew up believing. I have no idea what I believe anymore. It seems as though there are Scriptures that could validate both sides of the argument. Can people really lose their salvation? Can someone who has truly experienced the love of Christ walk away from Him? Does God ever say enough is enough? What about the verses where God says, "I will not contend with you forever."? Has salvation been so severely watered down by Western Christianity that we don't fully grasp the implications of what it means to be saved? The verse that really scares me is somewhere in Matthew 7 where Jesus tells the people who have prophesied and cast out demons in His name to depart from Him because He never knew them. It blows my mind that people can exercise such power and never know the source. It makes me begin to question whether or not I really know the author of my faith or if I am like those who have a form of godliness but deny its power. Every now and then, when the house is empty and no one has called all day, I begin to wonder if I missed the rapture (even though I don't really believe the church will be raptured before the tribulation, I still get that eerie feeling from time to time). It's funny how one little comment can trigger so many questions! If you have any comments, thoughts, or Scriptures, have at it!

1 Comments:

Blogger Heather said...

I obviously grew up learning the same as you. At Dordt they believe the once saved always saved...since that time I too have struggled to figure out what exactly I believe about that. As for the whole thinking the rapture thing has happened...Anna and I have discussed this in some depth because we both experience those thoughts as well and have decided that it stems from the infamous "Thief in the Night" videos that we were forced to watch during doctrine class. Oh man..now I will be thinking about them as I get ready to sleep...not good.

10:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home