Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Monday, September 05, 2005

I just can't say no!

Tonight, Heather and I went to the Half Price Bookstore in St. Louis Park. I like this store a lot. In fact, it's kind of a dangerous place for me to go because I usually find a couple books that I want to buy and it's hard to resist because the books are so cheap. This particular trip was to sell books, not to buy. Heather had a box full of books given to her and I had left over books from the Bluer garage sale. While we were waiting to receive their offer for our books, I wandered back to the religion section. I normally peruse the shelves and look for particular authors like Brennan Manning, Henri Nouwen, AW Tozer, or Elisabeth Elliot. As I was scanning the shelves looking to see a name that I recognized, a book that I thought I would never see at a store like this jumped out at me. There it was, Pleasures Evermore by Sam Storms sticking out like a sore thumb. I first heard about this book when I was at a conference down in Kansas City a few years ago. The author is associated with the International House of Prayer down in Kansas City and I have heard great things about the book. I guess I just never expected to see a Kansas City IHOP author at the Half Price Bookstore. Anyways, I'm standing in the aisle knowing that I just can't pass up a deal like this. If I were to buy this book from IHOP it would cost me at least twice what I would be paying...I was hooked. Now this is the part that kills me. I brought in at least a dozen books to sell and walked out with one book that was "worth" the dozen I sold plus $2. I'm glad I bought the book, but something about that whole transaction just seemed wrong. I guess I'm just a sucker that can't say no!

2 Comments:

Blogger KariBryant said...

I actually just listened to MB talk about this book...I'd like to read it!!! Pleasures Evermore, that is...

2:40 PM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I rarely leave Half Price Books with much money- they always have something I want... and with 'free' money it's hard to refuse. It's all part of their master plan you see... to keep the money in their pockets and not yours.

As Mark would say: "It's just another example of the man keepin' us down." For once, I'd agree ;-)

5:16 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home