Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Monday, April 25, 2005

What's the point of CPR?

Today I had to spend 4 hours in a CPR training class because I am a manager. I think it was the most interesting CPR class that I've ever taken. The instructor started out the class by asking us what the purpose of CPR was. An eager co-worker piped up answering, "To save someone's life." I thought this was a pretty good answer...it made sense in my head. Much to my surprise, our instructor replied, "Well, actually, chances are you won't be saving a life. 8 out of 10 times CPR is performed, the person doesn't make it." I was full of shock and disbelief at what my ears were hearing. I actually found myself thinking, "Well then what's the point of me sitting here, spending 4 hours of my time learning something that 8 out of 10 times won't make a difference?" Now that I have had time to process everything, I obviously realize that if this is true, it does make a difference for the 2 people who end up living. I guess I was just really put off by the way our instructor was presenting the material (there were other things he said as well that had me shaking my head in distaste) - it really would have been more helpful if he would have communicated the material in a more positive light. I do have to say that as I sit here typing this, I am powerfully aware of how I choose to communicate my words can impact others. I really do want to be one who communicates hope and life in our dark and fallen world.

I hope I never have to use my now somewhat sketchy knowledge of CPR on anyone (for their sake, not my own). But, if that day ever comes, I want to believe that what I am doing will make a difference. Maybe I should sign-up for a different class that won't leave me with such a bad taste in my mouth.

1 Comments:

Blogger Amy said...

No, we didn't get to learn how to use a portable defribulator (that would have been cool) - this was the bare minimum type of CPR training. We didn't even have to breathe into the dummy to make the chest rise, and he didn't even show us the correct way of finding where exactly to do the chest compressions. He just kept on saying, "Put your hands on the chest and aim for the backbone - they're dead anyways, so there's not much more damage you can do." I am not joking - he really said that!

11:24 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home