Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Tagore

While going through a box of books left to me by my friend Marian, I discovered a book of poetry by Rabindranath Tagore - highly regarded as the greatest literary figure to come out of India. I remember being asked numerous times in Bangladesh if I knew of Tagore, and it didn't take very long for me to become acquainted with his works.

As I started thumbing through "Gitanjali", I was deeply moved by his poetry. If one didn't know better, one could easily assume that Tagore was a Christian. His poetry is deeply spiritual, and I have found my heart resonating with the beauty of his words.

19
If thou speakest not I will fill my heart with thy silence and endure it.
I will keep still and wait like the night with starry vigil and its head bent low with patience.
The morning will surely come, the darkness will vanish, and thy voice pour down in golden streams breaking through the sky.
Then they words will take wing in songs from every one of my birds' nests, and thy melodies will break forth in flowers in all my forest groves.

38
That I want thee, only thee - let my heart repeat without end.
All desires that distract me, day and night, are false and empty to the core.
As the night keeps hidden in its gloom the petition for light, even thus in the depth of my unconsciousness rings the cry - I want thee, only thee.
As the storm still seeks its end in peace when it strikes against peace with all its might, even thus my rebellion strikes against thy love and still its cry is - I want thee, only thee.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amy, I don't know if you know me yet, I attend BLuer, though not as frequently as I would like. I also go to Patsy's women's group on Sunday am's. Just wanted to say I enjoyed what I read. I think I am in God's waiting room so much of the time. I have had to put my desires and what I think of as my call on the back burner of my life. Your desire to go to India, waiting on God's timing struck a chord in me. I am comforted by the fact that God didn't really start using Moses till he was in his 60's. Anyway. I will say hi sometime. I hope you have a wonderful time in the boundary waters. I have gone three times since we moved here from Colorado in 1995. I love the eagles and the loons. God Bless you Sandy Russell. PS Gary Weins was my pastor in Denver.

6:40 AM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home