Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Saturday, April 30, 2005

CPR Continued...

For some reason this morning, I kept asking God not to let anything major happen at work today. Part of it is because it's Month End, and I would love nothing more than to hide in my office all day without any interruptions so I can actually get stuff done. The other part of it is that I tend to not think very clearly - well I guess you could say I kind of freak out - when I'm in charge and there's an accident. So, I don't know if God was trying to be funny, or if He thought it would be good for me to face my fears, but as I was happily clearing away trays down in our complimentary breakfast area, thankful for a semi-slow morning, someone yells at me to go call 911. When I looked up, all I could see was a crowd of people surrounding someone laying on the floor. As I ran to the nearest phone, all I could think was, "Oh no, what if I have to give someone CPR!" Then I started to realize that I had broken the first rule of the CPR training I took earlier this week. I am supposed to assess the victim first in order to tell 911 exactly why I'm calling so they don't have to send out every type of emergency personnel. I felt kind of dumb calling 911, not really knowing why I was calling except that someone was laying on the ground in our atrium, but the dispatcher was really nice, and that made me feel better. Then the panic set in of, "I'm the manager on duty...I am the one responsible for making sure that this gets handled properly." It seemed as though a thousand thoughts flooded my head as I tried to recall the proper protocol for handling a situation such as this. As I returned to the crowd of people a little scared of what I might find, there sat a young woman on the floor with a towel full of ice on her head. Apparently she had fainted and hit her head on the tile floor. I was very relieved (for everyone's sake) that it was nothing more serious than it was, and that I didn't have to perform CPR on anyone (once again, for their sake, not my own). There was nothing more to do than wait for the EMT's to come and take control of the situation.
Now that all the excitement has passed and all the incident reports have been filled out and routed to the proper departments, I am exhausted! I normally wouldn't blog while I'm at work, but it helps to get it all out so I can focus on the rest of my day. I probably shouldn't say this, but I hope that nothing more out of the ordinary happens today. I don't know how much more excitement I can take!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I tried to write something witty, but nothing came out. So, I just wanted to let you know someone reads your blog ;-)

I was smiling to myself as I read this post, as I could totally see the scene in my mind- and the look on your face- it amused me greatly. Is it bad if I pray for interesting stuff so I can read about on your blog? ;-)

2:41 PM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Nick, I'm that you were greatly amused...whether it's bad that you pray for interesting things to happen, well you'll just have to be led by the Holy Spirit on that one! :-D

12:28 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home