Who I am... Amy Ciske, Wife of Nick. Minneapolis Resident. Aspiring to one day reside in Southern Asia (which is closer than I ever imagined). Incredibly fond of Indian and Chinese food, reading, warm weather, music, traveling, and last but certainly not least...coffee!

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Me with blonde hair!

Here's a visual for those of you who can't quite picture me with blonde hair!

This picture was taken with my friend Moshumi at the student center where I taught English in Dhaka. This was my last night with all of the students just a few short days before I left the country. We had a cultural night where the students could sign up to read poetry, sing, play instruments, etc. I was in a short skit with some of my students that turned out to be quite the disaster. One of the students had written a script and I had to memorize my lines in Bengali. I really had no idea what I was saying (which could have been dangerous), but at least I knew my lines. The night of the party, I found out that the manager of the student center had rejected the script because he thought some of the content was too controversial. I was a little disappointed, but okay with his decision. I figured that we weren't going to perform anymore since our script was rejected, but I was wrong. The students wanted to do an improvised skit instead. For anyone who knows me at all, I am not one to get up in front of people and improvise. I was absolutely mortified. I tried to explain to the students that I had no idea what to say, but they kept telling me it would be okay. It was easily the worst performance of the evening. Because of the language barrier, we weren't completely understanding eachother which led to some very awkward moments, but we managed to struggle through it. Everyone complemented us on our skit, but I think they were just trying to be polite!

Here's another picture of my 22nd birthday. It was fun to look through all my photo albums again!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Here's a great blonde joke for you ;->

2:30 AM

 
Blogger Amy said...

Thanks, Patsy! Just when I thought I was done with the blonde jokes...

I'm just glad that it didn't take me that long to figure it out!

9:13 PM

 

Post a Comment

<< Home